This one-day intensive workshop equips lawyers with the business skills they require to add value to the practice and develop their career.
Subject to specific requirements of relevant State rulings, attendance at this workshop allows participants to earn MCLE / CPD points.
The morning half with Sam Coupland on Business Management Matters + Financials + Costing & Pricing legal services (9.00 AM-12.00 pm AEDT); The afternoon half with Sue-Ella Prodonovich on Practice Strategy & Planning + Marketing your Practice + Developing New Business (1.00 -4.00 pm AEDT)
Business Management Matters
- How the business model works
- What differentiates successful firms
- Your role in the success of your firm
The Financial Side
- The importance of profit
- Profitability with lifestyle balance
- Managing cash flow
Costing and Pricing Your Services
- Strategic implications of price
- Understanding and applying cost of production
- Pricing options
An Introduction to Business Strategy & Planning
- Positioning your practice
- Market & client segmentation
- Business and pipeline plans
Marketing & Business Development For Lawyers
- Building your profile
- Developing a network that adds value toyour practice
- Asking for recommendations and referrals
- Ideas for proactive service
Developing Skills For The Next Generation of Leader
- Gain business skills required to add value to the practice and develop your career
REGISTER HERE FOR FULL DAY 9.00 AM- 4.00 PM AEDT
REGISTER HERE AM SESSIONS ONLY WITH SAM COULAND 9.00 AM – 12.00 PM AEDT
REGISTER HERE PM SESSIONS ONLY WITH SUE-ELLA PRODONOVICH 1.00 – 4.00 PM AEDT
Who should attend?
This workshop is suitable for all professionals working in a private legal practice, but the following groups should be able to really take advantage of it:
- Associates with 3-6 yrs PQE who want to fast-track their careers with purposeful contributions to their practice groups or Firm.
- Senior Associates and Special Counsel preparing for the next step of their career.
- Junior Partners who want to re-fresh their skills for greater leadership responsibilities in 2024.
- Practice Managers who want to polish up their Pricing or Business Development skills to further support their Firm.
Sam’s client facing roles span direct consulting and management training. In anyone year he would be engaged by 50+ firms to assist with strategic planning, partner compensation, equity valuation and succession related issues. With industry experience gained since 1999 and the capacity to draw on the many resources of FMRC, Sam has developed unique insights into the workings of a wide range of firms. Sam is considered the foremost authority on law firm valuations having developed a robust valuation methodology and values more than 20 firms each year. Prior to joining FMRC Sam worked at Ernst & Young for four years followed by a stint in London conducting due diligence on businesses listing on the London Stock Exchange.
Sue-Ella brings more than 20 years of senior level experience in winning and growing business. During this time her roles have included Director of Marketing with Arthur Anderson, Director of Marketing and Business Development with Baker & McKenzie, senior Consultant with Rogen SI, business owner of PTB Consulting, and Partner of Crowe Horwath. Sue-Ella has a particular interest in client feedback programs and business development coaching.